Worrier/Warrior

When faced with infertility, it's fret or fight.

Name:
Location: United States

Find the most current posts at worrierwarrior at wordpress dot com

Friday, May 12, 2006

Grandpa

Last night around 9 pm my grandfather died. He had been unconscious and on a feeding tube for over the last year. My mom told me that Tuesday night, my grandmother consented to take him off any support. I know it was a difficult decision for my grandma and one she struggled with. My parents were there to see him last night. Five minutes into their hour and half drive back home they got a call from her family that he had died. My brother lives close to where my grandfather died as does the rest of my mom’s family, so they were all able to be there soon after it happened.

I’m flying up to Northern California for the weekend to be with my mom and grandmother and the rest of my family. Grandpa will be cremated and I guess it takes some time to arrange that so the funeral will take place in about a week or so.

It feels good to think I’ll be seeing my family this weekend. Usually, I try to limit the amount of time I spend with them because it’s nice to see them, but after awhile the old, unhealthy interactions with them start creeping back in. The distance between Northern and Southern California never felt too big and was a nice buffer. Today, the distance feels immense and I long to be closer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Thalia said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I hope that your family time is therapeutic for all of you.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

website page counter