Worrier/Warrior

When faced with infertility, it's fret or fight.

Name:
Location: United States

Find the most current posts at worrierwarrior at wordpress dot com

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Of plans and pigs, part 2

So, we were good with our decision to hold things off for a couple of months. Then, yesterday morning Dr. No Face calls to see if the IUI had worked or not. He had mentioned he would be calling Monday, but I guess I really didn’t believe it. I told him about the negative pregnancy test and the fact that I had started spotting that morning and he sounded genuinely disappointed and proceeded to tell me to come back in once my period starts and we’ll try again. I told him Mr. Warrior and I had talked about it and decided to do the sperm analysis before going on with anymore treatments. But, Dr. No Face felt that sperm was probably not why we didn’t get pregnant this time and he felt it was just bad luck.

Aside: I don’t know why doctors like saying things are “bad luck.” It actually bothers me quite a bit because it’s almost like being superstitious or something. I know medicine doesn’t understand everything and can’t control everything and I can be as superstitious as the next person, but I really don’t want my Dr operating on superstition. I’m not saying Dr. No Face is doing that, because I think he was just trying to convince me to try the Clomid/IUI again because he really believes it can work for us. But, still, I think I would have rather had him tell me the odds were low and we were just on the wrong side this time and next time we may be on the right side, instead calling it bad luck.

Dr. No Face’s feeling is that since Mr. Warrior has gotten two women pregnant (his first wife and me) and the sperm prepared for my IUI had a good count and motility, the only thing that may be wrong with Mr. Warrior’s sperm is morphology. But people get pregnant with bad morphology. He thought we might as well keep trying at least a few more times because the chances of the IUI working for us is pretty good. I discussed with him the possibility of going to IVF since my eggs responded well to the Clomid. He basically said that we should definitely go ahead with that if that is what we feel comfortable with since the differences between IUIs and IVFs is that IVF has the better success rate but it also costs more. And, since it would take time to get through the initial consultation before actually starting an IVF cycle, why not think about doing another IUI cycle while we started on the IVF process?

Everything Dr. No Face said made sense. I became very weepy in the process of talking to him. It has been a long time since doctors have been optimistic about our fertility situation. And, Dr. No Face really has no obligation to us anymore since he no longer works for the clinic and was just following up on the patients he had worked with through the end of their cycle.

So, now we are rethinking our plan and thinking about doing at least one or two more IUI cycles. We’re not sure if we’ll pursue IVF now or wait until I graduate and we get settled in our new place (we’ll most likely move after I graduate).

And we’re thinking about how touched we were that Dr. No Face seemed to genuinely care about us. At one point, Dr. No Face said to me, “You know, I really want to see you pregnant.”

Me, too Dr. No Face. And after that, I really want to see me holding a live baby.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lollipop Goldstein said...

I don't think doctors realize how much those small words mean to a patient and how easy they are to say. Our RE called us once before a cycle to tell us that he had a really good feeling about the cycle. And that hope made a huge impact on my mood.

Hang in there.

12:22 PM  
Blogger BigP's Heather said...

I agree. I don't think they realize.

I hate the "luck" thing too. If it only took luck then I would book a trip to Vegas and not the REs.

7:04 AM  
Blogger Summer said...

Vegas, yeah. Wouldn't that be great if all it took was luck at the roulette wheel or a roll of the dice at the craps table? Or how about slots? Three babies in a row means healthy, live baby in 9 months! Sure would be more fun than being in stirrups.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

website page counter