Worrier/Warrior

When faced with infertility, it's fret or fight.

Name:
Location: United States

Find the most current posts at worrierwarrior at wordpress dot com

Saturday, August 12, 2006

This time around

…the news was hard to hear, but I kept it together enough to ask questions and get more information about what we have learned by doing the first IUI cycle and trying to do another. It turns out one of my “mature” follicles last cycle measured 28mm. Way too over-developed to be normal. What we thought was a good response of 3 mature follicles was not.

…at my baseline u/s I had a cyst that measured 25mm and no antral follicles in either ovary. The doctor we met this time training Dr. SIL (Dr. No Face is no longer with the clinic) was one we met with last summer when we went in for our fertility evaluation. She was the one who gave us our IVF and possibly donor egg talk. Her take is that this month’s finding that I have no antral follicles confirms that my high FSH reading of 31 was likely real. And, given that I had a 28 mm follicle last month by day 14, it says to her that my body had already tried to recruit follicles before I started the Clomid which is earlier than typical and consistent with diminished ovarian reserve. She also agreed that given that I had a miscarriage before, this suggests there may be issues with egg quality.

...I could only hold it together until we walked out of the office. We took the stair well and before I got to the first landing, I knew I would lose it. Very surreal hearing your sobs echo in an empty stairwell.

…Mr. Warrior took it harder than I did. He was angry he placed trust in the hope Dr. No Face had given us just days before. He is feeling distrustful of how much to trust doctors next time.

…I am feeling sad but having no antral follicles at my baseline u/s confirms my belief that my infertility problems started long before I ever got pregnant and miscarried. That I may have had a chance to have healthy babies in my early 20’s, but my periods really changed when I was 27, the year I started grad school. I had chalked it up to stress, but now I think that is when my eggs started to decline. Strangely, it makes me feel more grateful for my pregnancy and miscarriage. A proof that the infertility I am experiencing is not something I could have avoided. I couldn’t have eaten better or taken care of myself better or taken more care to not let the stress of grad school get to me in order to avoid this.

…I still feel lost even though we have a plan (IVF with donor eggs). I guess it’s a little like knowing my grandfather was going to die when he first got sick. There is grief and sadness in this realization, but he wasn’t dead yet and so there was time to process some of the feelings. When he did die, it was painful and heartbreaking, but having had some time to prepare for it, I didn’t need to try to both grieve and make sense of it all. I could just grieve.

…I tried reaching out more to the people around me. But, it’s hard when you know they don’t understand the depth of your pain and don’t know how to help you. I end up trying to console them instead or reassuring them that I recognize they are trying to be helpful. Maybe that’s why I feel lost. I feel like I am being lost when I come into contact with other people. Being overshadowed by their discomfort and need to help.

…I know I will get through this. Afterall, I have before. I’m just not sure how I’m going to get through it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fertile Soul said...

I understand. There was a time when we had sperm, and now it's gone. Your reaction is natural and healthy. It's very sad, saddening, and maddening. Somehow i believe (probably quite ignorantly) that low sperm count as old as time, but diminished ovarian reserve ... wtf? How long has that been around? I have another friend who was in her early 30s and found out she had diminished ovarian reserve after a few years of ttc. It shocked me then. How do you just find this out ... why arent doctors more aware? How does an otherwise perfectly healthy woman suddenly acquire diminished ovarian reserve.

I understand how you feel. It took me a long time to figure out how to talk to my family and friends about my issues. In the end, i learned that i do not have to worry about their reaction. Their reaction has to do with them and is about them and their levels of security. For me, what i need to do, is just get this latest chapter in IF off my chest. How people react to it really doesn't change the fact that i needed to get something off my chest and i did. I do feel better by that act alone. Sometimes, of course, i get irritated that particular people do not have the perfect reactions. And then i get that little rant off my chest, but that has more to do with me and my expectations.

Anyway, i guess, the point is, keep talking/writing about what's bothering you.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Summer said...

Thank you, fertile soul, thank you for your words.

And thank you for listening to mine.

9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

website page counter